Who to notify after someone dies

When someone dies a number of people and organisations need to be told. This helps to finalise the person’s affairs and makes sure you can get the help you need.

Before you start contacting the relevant people or organisations, it might help to have a look around and see if the person who died had a filing cabinet, folder or document case. They may have records that show dealings with any of the contacts on the checklist.

You can use these records to find out important reference numbers such as a customer reference number, Medicare number or health fund membership number.

Some important documents to look for are:

  • a Will
  • birth and marriage certificates
  • property deeds and mortgage papers
  • home loan details (latest statement of loan account containing details about finance for the deceased person’s property)
  • lease (setting out legal entitlements for a rented property)
  • taxation records (with details of income and assets)
  • insurance policies (for example, home, contents and car)
  • life insurance and superannuation policies
  • savings account details (showing where the savings are kept)
  • any documents about prepaid funeral arrangements or burial plots.

While many organisations may require a copy of the Death Certificate before they take action on your advice, it is wise to provide advice of the death as soon as possible.

Centrelink may learn of the death of a customer from a funeral director, a partner, a relative, a friend, by phone, letter or visit to a Centrelink Office.